- Help Center
- Google Search
- Terms of Service
- Submit feedback
Make Google your homepage
You can quickly get to Google every time you open your browser by making Google your homepage.
Change your homepage
Choose a browser below, then follow the steps on your computer. If you don't see your browser below, go to the "Help" section of your browser and look for information on how to change your browser’s homepage.
- Open your browser and visit www.google.com .
- Drag the tab to the Home button, then release.
- Click Yes .
- Under "Appearance," turn on Show home button .
- Select your current homepage or Enter custom web address . Then, enter: www.google.com .
- Next to "New windows open with" and "New tabs open with," select Homepage .
- Next to "Homepage," enter: www.google.com .
- In the menu bar on the top of your browser, click Tools .
- Select Internet Options .
- Click the General tab.
- Under "Home page," enter: www.google.com .
- Restart your browser.
- If you have a current homepage : Next to the URL, click X .
Google is stuck as my homepage
Google won't change your homepage settings without your permission.
- Reset your homepage . Choose a browser above, then follow the steps to replace Google with the site you want as your homepage.
- Check for unwanted programs . If resetting your homepage doesn't fix the problem, you might have unwanted programs called malware that's imitating the Google site. Learn about malware and how to remove it .
Need more help?
Try these next steps:.
- How to Change Your Homepa... How to Change Your Homepage and New Tab Page in Chrome
How to Change Your Homepage and New Tab Page in Chrome
By default, the first page you see when you open Chrome is the Google search box. However, you can always change this to another website or customize it whenever you want. You can also change your new tab page, so you see a certain website when you open a new tab. Here’s how to change your homepage and customize or change the new tab page in Google Chrome.
How to Change Your Homepage in Chrome
To change your homepage in Chrome, click on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of a browser window. Then go to Settings > Appearance and enable the Show Home button option. Finally, type a URL in the text box and click the home button to see if it was changed.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Then click the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of your browser window.
- Then scroll down to Appearance . You can also select Appearance in the left sidebar to jump directly to the section. If you don’t see the left sidebar, you can expand your browser window or zoom out.
- Finally, click the circle next to the text box and type the URL of your desired homepage.
You can also change your startup page so you will see your homepage when you open Chrome. To do this, scroll down the settings page to the On startup section. Then click the radio button next to Open a specific page or set of pages.
Finally, click Add a new page, enter your homepage URL, and click Add.
Note: You can add more than one page. Then, when you open a new Chrome window, all the pages you added will load in different tabs.
After you change your homepage in Chrome, you can also customize the new tab page. Here’s how:
How to Customize the New Tab Page in Chrome
To customize the new tab page in Chrome, open a new tab and click the Customize button. Then select Background, Shortcuts, or Color and theme to change parts of the new tab page. Finally, click Done .
- Open a new tab in the Chrome web browser .
Note: If you choose to upload your own image, you can only use files with a .jpg, .jpeg, or .png file extension.
Note: If you choose My Shortcuts , you can click the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of a shortcut to remove it or edit its name and URL.
- Finally, click Done after changing the new tab page .
Unfortunately, Chrome doesn’t allow you to change your new tab page to a specific URL in its settings. However, you can download an extension to achieve this. Here’s how:
How to Change the New Tab Page in Chrome
To change the new tab page in Chrome, you have to download an extension like Custom New Tab URL from the Chrome Web Store. Then enable the extension and add the URL you want to use for your new tab page.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Then go to the Custom New Tab URL page on the Chrome Web Store.
Note: If you can’t see your extension, you can also enable it by typing chrome://extensions/ into the address bar at the top of your browser window and hitting the enter key on your keyboard.
- Then type in a URL. Make sure to include http:// or https:// before the address.
- Finally, click Save to change your new tab page in Chrome.
Now that you know how to change your homepage and new tab page in Chrome, check out our step-by-step guide on how to sync Chrome across all your devices .
Was this article helpful?
- How to Keep Your Laptop On When it’s Closed
- How to Enable Dark Mode on Your Mac
- How to Change Your Background on Zoom
- How to Update Chrome on Your Computer, Android, or iPhone
- How to Upgrade Your PC to Windows 11 for Free
- How to Back Up Your iPhone to iCloud, Mac, or Windows
Need to chat with an expert?
Can't find the answer you're looking for? Don't worry, we're here to help.
Save $5 on any product or service!
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive a promo code to save $5 on your next product purchase or service.
Enter your email address below to receive your promo code and stay up to date on the latest tech news and updates.
- Skip to main content
- Skip to primary sidebar
Tutorials and fixes for smartphone, gadget, and computer problems
How to Set the Homepage in Google Chrome
December 13, 2022 by Mitch Bartlett Leave a Comment
When you first launch your browser, you probably want a page to load that will get you access to the information you need most often. Accomplish more by setting a default homepage in Google Chrome using these steps.
Chrome For Windows, macOS, Linux & ChromeOS
- Open Chrome, then select the “ Menu ” ⁝ icon located at the upper-right corner, then choose “ Settings “.
- Select “ Appearance ” on the left pane.
- Ensure the “ Show home button ” option is turned “ On “.
Chrome For Android & iOS
Setting default homepage for new tabs.
- Open the Chrome app.
- Select the “ Menu ” ⁝ icon located at the upper-right corner.
- Choose “ Settings “.
- Select “ Homepage “.
Setting Multiple Homepages
If you use multiple sites and wish to have different options for homepages when you start Chrome, you can make a Home screen icon using these steps:
- Modify the title of the icon if desired. When complete, select “ Add “.
- Confirm this action by selecting “ Add ” on the next screen. A shortcut icon will be added to the Home screen that will open and take you directly to that page.
I hope this guide has helped you successfully set a homepage in Google Chrome. Have any questions? Leave one below.
You Might Also Like
Did this help let us know.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed .
How to set a homepage in google chrome.
Google Chrome has no homepage by default, but you can fix that
When people talk about homepages on web browsers, they usually mean two things: the website that appears when they first open their browser and the page they visit when clicking the home button. In many modern browsers, including the default browser on the top Chromebooks , Google Chrome, these are two separate things.
Google Chrome doesn't have what you would call a homepage when using its default settings. There's no home button by the address bar, and it shows the new tab page on startup, which isn't a website. However, Google lets you choose which pages it opens on startup, and it has an option that lets you activate the missing home button and set its homepage. So, if you want to make navigating easy or have the homepage you want at the ready when you open Google Chrome, here's how to make it happen.
Change Google Chrome's startup pages on the desktop
Google Chrome uses the same user interface on both the Windows and Mac versions. The screenshots below show Chrome for Mac . Windows users can follow the same steps to change the Chrome startup pages.
- Launch Google Chrome on the desktop.
- Near the upper-right corner of Google Chrome, click the three vertical dots to open the drop-down menu.
- Select On Startup from the left sidebar.
- You have three options to choose from. Select the third option, Open a specific page or set of pages .
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to add more startup pages.
You have successfully changed which pages Google Chrome opens every time. The next time you close Chrome and open it again, each page you listed will open in a separate tab.
Activate the home button and set its URL
If you don't see a home button beside the Chrome address bar, follow the steps to enable it.
- Open the Chrome Settings menu (refer to the steps above).
- In the left pane, select Appearance .
After completing this final step, you should see a home button to the left of the address bar at the top of Google Chrome. Clicking the home button will navigate you to the page you selected.
How to set your Chrome homepage on Android
Unlike on the desktop, the Android version of Google Chrome treats the homepage and the startup page as the same thing. Changing the homepage setting changes the website you visit by tapping the home button, and it changes the page that opens every time you launch the app. Here's what you have to do to make it happen:
- Near the upper-right corner of Google Chrome, tap the three vertical dots to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Settings in the drop-down menu.
- If the homepage button is turned off, tap it to turn it on.
- You can select Chrome's homepage or enter a custom web address. Select Enter custom web address . This may be filled in with another web address. Either way, select the second option.
Your new custom homepage will load when you start the Chrome app or tap the home button.
How to tweak the Chrome homepage on iPhone
Unlike Android, you can't set a specific web page to open at Chrome startup on iPhone. You only get frequently visited websites, a Google search bar, and a Discover menu to glance over the news. You can long-tap on a website shortcut to remove it.
To disable Discover, tap the Settings gear at the top and select Turn Off .
Doing more with Google Chrome
Changing your homepage only scratches the surface of the options available for customizing Google Chrome. The browser also lets you choose your own themes and add the new intelligent toolbar button , among other features.
How to mass delete emails in Gmail
How to install the google play store on every amazon fire tablet, youtube music's next major addition has spotify squarely in its sights, the asus zenfone 9 gets its first taste of paranoid android topaz.
- PC & Mobile
How to Set the Homepage in Chrome on a PC or Smartphone
Lee Stanton Read more August 23, 2021
- Device Missing?
Whenever your press the house icon in Chrome, you’ll see the Google search box. This isn’t surprising since Google allows you to run a quick search and gather information in the blink of an eye. However, you might want to switch your homepage to a location you use frequently – your email inbox, YouTube, or favorite social network.
Learning how to set the homepage in Chrome allows you to customize your browser and adjust it to your preferences. In this article, we’ll walk you through the process of customizing your homepage across different platforms.
How to Set the Default Homepage in Chrome on a PC
As mentioned, the Google search bar will be the first thing you see when you open Chrome. If you’d like to change this and you’re using a PC, follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome.
- Press the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Press “Settings.”
- Select the “Appearance” tab from the menu on the left side.
- If the home button is disabled, switch the toggle next to “Show home button.” You’ll see the house icon appearing on the left of the address bar.
- Press the circle next to “Enter custom web address” to choose what page appears when you tap the house icon.
- Copy the link to the preferred homepage and insert it in the address window.
All done. From now on, whenever you press the house icon, the page you chose will appear in Chrome.
Is it Possible to Set the Homepage in Chrome on an iPhone
Unfortunately, if you’re using Chrome on your iPhone, you won’t be able to set your homepage. You can only do it if you’re using a computer or an Android device.
Since Safari is the default browser for iPhones, we recommend setting the homepage within that browser.
How to Set the Homepage in Chrome on an Android Device
By tapping the home icon in Chrome on your Android device, you’ll be transferred to the Google homepage. If you want to change this, you’ll be happy to know you can do it in just a few steps. Follow the steps below:
- Open Chrome on your device.
- Go to the page that you want to use as the homepage and copy the URL.
- Tap the three dots at the top-right corner.
- Tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the “Advanced” tab.
- Tap “Homepage.”
- Paste the link to the preferred page.
Whenever you click the house icon on the left of the address bar, you’ll be redirected to the page you added in the settings.
Is it Possible to Set the Homepage in Chrome on an iPad
Setting the homepage in Chrome on an iPad isn’t possible. Unfortunately, you can only do it if you have a PC or an Android device.
How to Change the Chrome Homepage for All Users on a PC
You can change the Chrome homepage for all users on your PC. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Go to Computer > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Google Chrome > Default Settings > Home Page.
- Find “Use New Tab as Homepage” and enable it.
- Go to the new tab page.
- Enable “Configure the New Tab Page URL” and enter the URL to the page of your preference.
Home(page) Is Where the Heart Is
Although the default homepage is Google, Chrome lets you customize it and set any other page instead. Learning how to set the homepage in Chrome allows you to access your favorite website with just one click. The option is available for PC and Android users, but unfortunately, you can’t use it if you have an Apple iPhone or iPad.
Have you ever changed your homepage in any other browser? What is your homepage in Chrome now? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Lee Stanton February 10, 2023
Lee Stanton February 9, 2023
Send To Someone
Lee Stanton November 24, 2022
Steve Larner July 27, 2022
Lee Stanton August 23, 2022
Lee Stanton August 16, 2022
Cassandra December 3, 2022
Lee Stanton July 18, 2022
Choose your homepage · On your computer, open Chrome. · At the top right, click More More and then Settings. · Under "Appearance," turn on Show Home button. · Below
Change your homepage · In the menu bar on the top of your browser, click Tools. · Select Internet Options. · Click the General tab. · Under "Home page," enter: www.
To change your homepage in Chrome, click on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of a browser window. Then go to Settings > Appearance
Changing the Home Page in Google Chrome · In the top right corner of your computer's browser, click the Options button in Chrome · Find the Settings option
How To Change Default Homepage In Google Chrome In Windows 11 [Tutorial]Changing the Google Chrome homepage makes a different page open when
In this video I'll show you how to set a homepage in Google Chrome on both the Google Chrome desktop app and Android app.
In this video I explain how to set the home page in Google Chrome and also how to set the startup page in Chrome on the desktop.
Setting Default Homepage for New Tabs · Open the Chrome app. · Select the “Menu” ⁝ icon located at the upper-right corner. · Choose “Settings“.
How to set your Chrome homepage on Android · Near the upper-right corner of Google Chrome, tap the three vertical dots to open the drop-down menu
How to Change the Chrome Homepage for All Users on a PC · Go to Computer > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Google Chrome >